Sunday, October 23, 2011

Beginner Sewing Projects

In my classes once you get past the 'Absolute Beginners' stage I then like to get beginner sewers onto a few simple projects using my patterns. After that you're then ready to move onto a commercial pattern (Butterick, Simplicity etc.),usually a simple A-line or straight skirt. Commercial patterns can be overwhelming when you're learning to sew and I find if beginners are able to churn through a few of my simple projects quickly, they have a real sense of achievement and their confidence grows.
I usually start with the Beginner's Bag which was designed so that you become familiar with cutting, a few essential sewing terms and it also incorporates the basic sewing techniques that I teach in the 'Absolute Beginners Workshop', things like backtacking, pivoting and seam finishes - the very basics.


We then move onto the Envelope Cushion Cover and you learn how to sew a buttonhole. I like to get buttonholes out of the way early on, as most people have them high up on their 'very difficult to do' list.


Choose a print that is to your style and change the look of your cushion.


If you're not into cushions then maybe you would prefer the pajama shorts, which also have buttonholes.




Or maybe the cropped pajama pants.



After one or two of these projects you're ready to start using a commercial pattern.....then the fun really starts.



No comments: