Saturday, October 29, 2011

Get Cracking!

Don't you just love Xmas sewing? Well, Xmas sewing started this week in the studio and is now in full swing. We still may have a few months to go before we are right into Ho!Ho!Ho! but if we don't get cracking those gifts and clothes we want for the festive season just won't be ready.
I made this lovely bag in fabric that I bought from Calico & Ivy, a gorgeous new quilting shop in Balmain, worth a trip because it is such a pleasant shop. What could be nicer than a day poking around Balmain in the lead up to Xmas?



I love the large floral fabric as it looks very 'Mad Men' and I have lined it with a spot.


The pattern is the 'Practical Bag' by Grand Revival, I picked it up at Country Pickin's at Dural.



This has been a popular bag for Xmas gifts, it is a nice large bag and as it is easy and quick to make up, a good beginner's bag. The only alteration I made during construction was to change the position of the opening for the final turn through, which I preferred to be in the lining side seam, rather then up near where the handles are attached as per instructions. The instructions for the bag are clear and easy to follow.
I'll post a few of the finished class projects in a later blog, among them will be a cat bag for a cat loving daughter, an owl bag for an owl loving music teacher and a dragonfly bag for a dragonfly loving best friend.

No comments: